Thursday, September 28, 2006

In the Garden With Edward Lear

I came upon these amusing pictures when doing a book chase at my library. Edward Lear certainly isn't forgotten enough to be on the Forgotten Bookshelf, but I know that very few people are aware of the charming illustrations that he created for his Nonsense Books. Specifically, his "Child's Botany." I simply love them -- and apparently, someone one manufactured ceramic commemoritive plates with these plants painted on them -- some of the set are on display in the Elizabeth Nesbitt Room at the University of Pittsburgh. (If anyone out there knows how I can get my pretty little hands on a set of those plates, please let me know.)

Anyway, I thought you would all enjoy seeing some of these drawings. There's more plants than I could include on this posting, so here are a few of the cleverer ones. While "Enkoopia Chickiabiddia" is awfully nice, I think my favorite is going to have to be "Manypeeplia Upsidownia." It's just darn cute.







1 comment: