Monday, March 05, 2007


Holy Samoleons, It's Teen Tech Week!

This year the Young Adult Library Services Association decided to band together for the first-ever Teen Tech Week, lasting March 4 - 10, a "celebration aimed at getting teens to use their libraries for the different technologies that are offered there, such as DVDs, databases, audiobooks, electronic games and more." Very groovy. If you don't mind me bragging, I think my library's YA department has the inside track on this idea with its collection of circulating X-Box games.

I thought it wouldn't hurt to contribute to this week-long technorama. After all, I earned some serious tech cred back in the days of my youth:


Yeah, that was pretty much me, circa 1991. If you haven't seen the full exploits of Teen Girl Squad, you can find them here; although the humor doesn't quite work for everybody, it amuses me immensely.

Anyway. Teen Tech Week. For starters, I thought it would be absolutely necessary to present to you:

The Girls' Guide to Geek Guys

and its companion piece,

The Guys' Guide to Geek Girls

Interestingly, both of these pieces were written by women -- the first for the now-defunct Bunnyhop magazine, and the second by a the good lady who heads up an organization for women in computer science. Oh, and it contains the immortal line, "the 'spandex in space' phenomenon is EVIL . . . unless it happens to be Picard in his riding pants. Mulder in his speedo, while not technically in space, is quite acceptable also.". Read and learn, my people. Read and learn.

Oh, and a new Forgotten Book will be up tonight. Sorry about the delay!



No comments: